homeimage blogimage showsimage gamesimage shopimage1 sponsorsimage aboutimage newsimage forumimage
item1
item1

The Digital Lifestyle

item1
item1
item1

Your Apple Authority

item1
item1

Blog Archive

Subscribe Now

Help us continue to create great shows! Donate $5 today.

Monday, August 25, 2008

Interview with Marcelo Lewin, Pixel Heads Network

For our TDL Profiles series, I recently did a short iChat video interview with Marcelo Lewin, the creator of Pixel Heads Network, producer of video and audio podcasts aimed at New Media creators.

TDL: In our video interview, you mentioned you started editiing with Windows Movie Maker. Tell us about the process of "converting" to Mac.

Marcelo Lewin: I never understood why people were passionate about the Mac, of course, until I made the switch and "saw the light". Seriously, the experience is so much more conducive to being creative. I just loved the switch and I never looked back. In fact, my main concern was with finding all the apps on my Windows machine on the Mac. I thought I would have to "settle". Nope. They are all there (e.g. MS office, development tools, etc.).


TDL: Where do you see the growth in new media?
ML: Podcasts have been around for a few years.. any buzz on the next big thing?
The next big thing is standardization of new media analytics. To grow, we must have standards. I think in the next couple of years you will see the market starting to consolidate, standards implemented and the industry will then really take off (revenue wise).


TDL: Do you think most content creators will ever make money?
ML: Yes! Of course. It's a new market and many people are doing this for free now, but as the audience grows, as standards are in place and as more companies want to advertise in shows, you will see creators starting to make money.

TDL: Who are some of the podcasters/new media people you look up to, or who you think have a good model?
ML: I really think all of us, are people we can look to and learn from. It's a new business and it's hard to get an industry going and all of us have a say in how it will turn out. Of course, I like some of them out there more then others. I love to listen to Leo Laporte, Chris Marquard from Tips From The Top Floor, Alex Lindsay from Mac Break, etc....but there are lots of people out there doing great things!

TDL: Take us briefly through your video podcast workflow... and audio...

ML:
Meet The Experts (audio podcast):
I use Skype for the interview and record to Audio Hijack Pro (left channel host, right channel guest). From there I put the file through The Levelator. After that, I edit that file in SoundTrack Pro. Once I cleaned up all the ums, uhs and just made the interview tighter, I then create a multi-track project and create the enhanced podast. I then export as an enhanced podcast and also as an MP3 using Telestream's Episode. I publish that with an XML file using PodcastMaker and upload and publish to my site using Wordpress.

Digital Media Quick Tips.
I start with iShowU as my screen capture software. I then edit in Final Cut Pro, color correct. I clean up sound in SoundtrackPro, and then output as a QuickTime. I convert that file in Telestream Episode as FLV, AppleTV and iPod Touch formats. I publish that with an XML file using PodcastMaker and upload and publish to my site using Wordpress.

EXPOzed:
I videotape with Canon XH-A1 and Senheiser Lavs. I then edit in Final Cut Pro, color correct. I clean up sound in SoundtrackPro, and then output as a QuickTime. I convert that file in Telestream Episode as FLV, AppleTV and iPod Touch formats. I publish that with an XML file using PodcastMaker and upload and publish to my site using Wordpress.

TDL: What do you think has been the most important hardware/software in democratizing media creation?
ML: The cell phone cameras from a hardware perspective and iMovie or Adobe Premiere Elements from a vide editing perspective.

TDL: You cover a lot of Expos for your show Expozed.. any trends, new media or otherwise, you're seeing from those shows?
ML: Podcasting and web videos are accepted as the new way to distribute and influence customers. Also, in general, you will see more people in their homes doing video editing, shooting green screen, and after attending Siggraph this year, I'd say, in 2 to 3 years, you will screen Motion Capture technology available for under $2000.

TDL: What does the phrase "New Media" mean to you?
ML: Democratization of communication. Even playing field. We all now have the same possibilities to express ourselves. It's just up to you to take advantage of it.

TDL: What led to your switch from Windows to Mac?
ML: Final Cut Pro.

TDL: Is there an application not available for Mac that you wish was available?
ML: Quicken. It's available on the Mac, but it sucks. Intuit promises that the next version will be a very nice Mac version. We'll see.

No comments:

iPod, iMac and iPhone are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. Apple is not affiliated with, nor endorses this site.

Privacy Policy

Copyright 2008, R Cubed Networks, LLC

homeimage blogimage showsimage gamesimage shopimage1 sponsorsimage aboutimage newsimage forumimage